- 11 October 2016 – Economic Study on New gTLD Program's Competitive Effects: Phase II Results Available for Public Comment
- 15 September 2016 – Global Registrant Survey Final Phase Results Available
- 2 August 2016 – Request for Proposal for DNS Abuse Study Published
As part of its Affirmation of Commitments with the U.S. Department of Commerce, ICANN has committed to conducting a regular review of how the New gTLD Program has impacted competition, consumer choice and consumer trust. An initial review is now in progress, conducted by the Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice (CCT) Review Team. View CCT review team proceedings.
This review will:
- Determine the extent to which the introduction of new gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer choice and consumer trust in the DNS.
- Assess the effectiveness of (a) the application and evaluation processes, and (b) safeguards put in place to mitigate issues.
The CCT review team will consider 66 metrics [PDF, 472 KB] recommended by an Implementation Advisory Group for consideration in reviewing the New gTLD Program. ICANN is collecting and publishing data related to these metrics, including statistics about domain name registries, registrars, registrations, navigation and rights protection mechanisms. View metrics.
In addition to aggregating existing data, ICANN has commissioned studies on:
- Consumer awareness, perceived consumer choice, and experience and trust related to the Domain Name System.
- Pricing trends and other competition indicators in the global Domain Name System market.
To help the CCT review team assess the effectiveness of the New gTLD Program's application and evaluation processes, and safeguards put in place to mitigate abuse, ICANN collaborated with the community to generate reports on the following topics:
- 23 June 2016 – ICANN Announces Results from Phase 2 Global Consumer Research Study
- 23 December 2015 – Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team Seated
- 16 November 2015 - Candidates for Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team Announced
- 1 October 2015 – Call for Volunteers for Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team
- 28 September 2015 – ICANN Announces Phase One Results from Economic Study Evaluating Competition in the Domain Name Space
- 25 September 2015 – ICANN Releases Phase One Registrant Survey on the Domain Name Landscape
- 10 September 2015 – Competition, Consumer Choice and Consumer Trust (CCT) Review Metrics Available
- 29 May 2015 – ICANN Announces Results from Multiyear Consumer Study on the Domain Name Landscape