- 23 June 2016 – ICANN Announces Results from Phase 2 Global Consumer Research Study
- 17 June 2016 – Public Comment Summary Published for New gTLD Program Safeguards to Mitigate DNS Abuse Draft Report
- 15 March 2016 – Draft Report on New gTLD Program Safeguards Against DNS Abuse Issued for Public Comment
ICANN's New gTLD Program has enabled hundreds of new top-level domains to enter into the internet's root zone since the first delegations occurred in October 2013. Comprehensive reviews are currently underway in a number of areas, including:
- Effects of the program on competition, consumer trust and consumer choice
- Effectiveness of Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) built in to the program
- Stability of the DNS root zone
- Effectiveness of the gTLD application and evaluation processes used in the Program
- Operational aspects of the New gTLD Program in terms of efficiency, effectiveness and other areas.
Read Frequently Asked Questions for more information on the New gTLD Program Review process.
Concurrently, ICANN's Generic Names Supporting Organization is carrying out a policy development process (PDP) on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures. During this process, the group will determine whether to adjust the policy recommendations it made in advance of the New gTLD Program. Any changes to policy would affect future Program procedures for introducing additional gTLDs.
- Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice
- Trademark Clearinghouse
- Root Server System Stability
The New gTLD Program Review process depends on public comment! View open public comment proceedings or create an account on ICANN.org to receive updates on public comment activity. For questions or comments, please send an email to GlobalSupport@icann.org with "New gTLD Program Reviews" in the subject line.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Metrics Data
- ICANN Board Resolution: Planning for Future gTLD Application Rounds
- New gTLD Program Reviews and Assessments
- ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments
- 17 February 2016 – Public Comment Summary Published for Continuous Data-driven Analysis of Root Server System Stability (CDAR) Study
- 29 January 2016 – Revised Version of New gTLD Program Implementation Review Available
- 19 January 2016 – Join ICANN for a discussion about reviewing New gTLD Program safeguards against DNS abuse
- 23 December 2015 – Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team Seated
- 16 November 2015 – Candidates for Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team Announced
- 1 October 2015 – Call for Volunteers for Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team
- 28 September 2015 – ICANN Announces Phase One Results from Economic Study Evaluating Competition in the Domain Name Space
- 25 September 2015 – ICANN Releases Phase One Registrant Survey on the Domain Name Landscape
- 23 September 2015 – Draft of New gTLD Program Implementation Review Available for Public Comment
- 11 September 2015 – Revised Rights Protection Mechanisms Review Report
- 10 September 2015 – Blog Post: Competition, Consumer Choice and Consumer Trust (CCT) Review Metrics Available
- 8 June 2015 – Blog Post: New gTLD Program Reviews: Data Collection and Analysis
- 29 May 2015 – ICANN Announces Results from Multiyear Consumer Study on the Domain Name Landscape
- Public Comment Invited: 2 February 2015 – Draft Report: Rights Protection Mechanisms Review
- Blog Post: 28 January 2015 – Tracking the Future of the New gTLD Program – updated draft of the Work Plan Published
- 22 September 2014 – Subsequent New gTLD Program Activities Under Consideration – Initial Work Plan Published
Last updated 22 June 2016.