News & Views
Submit a Trademark to the Clearinghouse
Trademark validation services opened on 26 March 2013. Submit your mark today:
Trademark Clearinghouse FAQs
Get the most requested information regarding the Clearinghouse.
Implementation of Sunrise and Trademark Claims
ICANN is currently working with service providers to build the systems to support Sunrise and Claims services for all new gTLD registries.
- Participate in the Registry Technical Mailing List
- Draft RPM Requirements [PDF, 350 KB] (6 Apr 2013)
- Conference Call Recording [MP3, 27.9 MB] (25 Apr 2013)
- Conference Call Presentation [PDF, 216 KB] (25 Apr 2013)
Understanding the Trademark Clearinghouse
The New generic Top-Level Domain (New gTLD) Program promises to greatly expand the domain name system (DNS). Working with Intellectual Property experts and various community stakeholders, ICANN developed mechanisms that enable trademark holders to protect their rights during the DNS expansion. The Trademark Clearinghouse mechanism functions by authenticating information from rights holders and providing this information to registries and registrars. Benefits of registering a trademark with the Clearinghouse include access to Sunrise registration with new gTLD registries and notification from the Clearinghouse when a domain matching your trademark has been registered.
Below find archival materials detailing how the Trademark Clearinghouse was developed and implemented, listed chronologically.
March 2009 – Implementation Recommendation Team (IRT)
ICANN's Board of Directors forms a team of 18 intellectual property experts to develop rights protection mechanisms for new gTLDs.
- IRT Report [PDF, 299 KB] (29 May 2009)
October 2009 – Special Trademark Issues (STI) Team
A cross-constituency team reviews IRT recommendations providing a multi-stakeholder consensus view.
- STI Report (17 Dec 2009)
February–April 2011 – Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC)
ICANN's GAC participates in extended discussions with the Board of Directors on topics associated with the New gTLD Program, including rights protection.
- Indicative Scorecard on New gTLD Outstanding Issues - GAC Cartagena Communiqué [PDF, 332 KB] (23 Feb 11)
- ICANN Board Notes on Indicative Scorecard [PDF, 814 KB] (4 Mar 11)
- Protection of Rights: GAC Responses to Board Questions Raised in Brussels [PDF, 135 KB] (28 Feb 11)
- New gTLD Rights Protection Mechanisms: Points of Difference between Board and GAC [PDF, 113 KB] (19 Apr 11)
- GAC Comments on Board's Notes on Indicative Scorecard [PDF, 145 KB] (12 Apr 11)
- Revised ICANN Notes: Indicative Scorecard and GAC Comments to Board Response [PDF, 276 KB] (15 Apr 11)
October 2011 – Implementation Assistance Group (IAG)
ICANN calls for volunteers to aid in the implementation of Trademark Clearinghouse processes. Over 50 volunteers respond, forming the Implementation Assistance Group (IAG).
- IAG Summary of Input [PDF, 591 KB]
- IAG Documentation:
October–November 2011 – Request for Information (RFI)
An RFI and two Question & Answer documents are published to solicit proposals for potential Trademark Clearinghouse providers. The RFI closes on 28 November 2011.
- Protecting Trademark Rights in New gTLDs: Selection of Trademark Clearinghouse Service Providers (1 Jun 2012)
- Request for Information (3 Oct 2011)
- RFI Documentation:
April–June 2012 – Timeline and Models
ICANN publishes a proposed structure for Clearinghouse implementation, and information on expected progress and pricing for Clearinghouse services.
- Project Timeline: October 2011 – October 2012 [PDF, 139 KB] (14 May 2012)
- Preliminary Cost Model [PDF, 70 KB] (1 Jun 2012)
- Draft Implementation Model [PDF, 631 KB] (13 Apr 12)
1 June 2012 – Procurement of Trademark Clearinghouse Providers
After considering proposals from a host of potential providers, ICANN elects to work with Deloitte Enterprise Risk Services and IBM on Clearinghouse services implementation.
August 2012 – Forum on Technical Implementation Issues
Meeting focused on Sunrise and Trademark Claims processes.
- Overview [PDF, 64 KB] (13 Aug 2012)
- Agenda [PDF, 71 KB] (20 Aug 2012)
- Web Meeting Recording 1 (20 Aug 12) *Note: this session lacks audio
- Web Meeting Recording 2 (21 Aug 12)
September 2012 – Registry Technical Mailing List
Discussion about the technical details of the Registry-Clearinghouse interface.
- Conference Call Recording [MP3, 24.2 MB] (20 Sep 12)
- Conference Call Recording [MP3, 11.9 MB] (25 Sep 12)
24 September 2012 – Trademark Clearinghouse Provider Requirements
ICANN publishes information on the responsibilities of the Trademark Clearinghouse provider.
- Draft Provider Requirements [PDF, 1.25 MB]
September–October 2012 – Community/ICANN Dialogue: Sunrise and Claims Implementation
The ICANN community proposes alternate solutions to Sunrise and Trademark Claims implementation. ICANN responds.
- Community Concerns Regarding ICANN's Initial Clearinghouse Solution [PDF, 354 KB] (26 Sep 2012)
- Community Proposed Sunrise Model [PDF, 379 KB] (26 Sep 2012)
- Community Proposed Trademark Claims Model [PDF, 380 KB] (26 Sep 2012)
- ICANN Comments on Alternative Implementation Proposals [PDF, 82 KB] (08 Oct 2012)
- Slides: Alternate Trademark Clearinghouse Proposal [PDF, 262 KB] (9 Oct 2012)
24 September 2012 – Public Comment: Trademark Clearinghouse Implementation Material
ICANN invites public comment on implementation explanatory memoranda.
- Memorandum on Implementing Matching Rules [PDF, 194 KB]
- Memorandum on Implementing Proof of User Verification [PDF, 176 KB]
- Public Comment: Trademark Clearinghouse Documents
November–December 2012 – Stakeholder/CEO Discussions: Achieving Implementation
Representatives from the Business, Intellectual Property, and ISP constituencies, the Noncommercial, Registrars, and Registries stakeholder groups, and the At-Large Advisory Committee come together to reach implementation solutions.
- Trademark Clearinghouse Meeting Audio Recording (15 Nov 2012)
- Trademark Clearinghouse Meeting Transcript [PDF, 1.38 MB] (15 Nov 2012)
- Trademark Clearinghouse Meeting Audio Recording (16 Nov 2012)
- Trademark Clearinghouse Meeting Transcript [PDF, 1.16 MB] (16 Nov 2012)
- Building a Secure and Reliable Trademark Clearinghouse (7 Nov 2012)
- Trademark Clearinghouse Update (16 Nov 2012)
- A Follow-Up to Our Trademark Clearinghouse Meetings (26 Nov 2012)
- Concluding the Series of Trademark Clearinghouse Meetings (13 Dec 2012)
- Memorandum on TMCH Strawman Solution [PDF, 117 KB] (20 Mar 2013)
December 2012 – Sunrise and Trademark Claims Implementation: Business Model
ICANN holds a conference call to discuss the business model for required Rights Protection Mechanisms.
- Conference Call Recording [MP3, 14.8 MB] (19 Dec 12)
April 2013 – Sunrise and Trademark Claims: Draft RPM Requirements
ICANN publishes a draft of the Rights Protection Mechanism Requirements and solicits community input on the document via a conference call.