ICANN’s Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) provides public policy advice directly to the Board of Directors, providing an effective role for governments in ICANN’s governance model.
GAC representatives from Africa, the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe met with the Board in extended face-to-face discussions over a period of days during February and March of 2011 to identify specific differences between GAC advice and the current version of the Applicant Guidebook.
The purposes of the sessions were to promote joint understanding of the issues and arrive at an agreed-upon resolution of those differences wherever possible. Trademark issues, root zone scaling, and the handling of potentially objectionable TLD applications, among other issues, were discussed in depth.
After the discussions, ICANN’s Board responded to the GAC’s “Indicative Scorecard” on these issues, describing many areas of accommodation and agreement and also indicating those areas where the Board has not adopted GAC advice.
The most recent version of the Applicant Guidebook reflects a number of revisions resulting from the intensive collaboration between the GAC and the Board, including the strengthening of many trademark protections.
Below is a list of correspondence resulting from the Board/GAC consultations.
- Briefing Papers for ICANN Board-GAC Consultations (21 Feb 11)
- GAC Scorecard on New gTLD Outstanding Issues [332 KB] (23 Feb 11)
- ICANN Questions on Scorecard Protection of Rights [104 KB] (28 Feb 11)
- Board Notes GAC Actionable Scorecard [814 KB] (4 Mar 11)
- GAC Responses to the Questions Raised By the Board on Protection of Rights [136 KB] (9 Mar 11)
- GNSO Council Statement on the GAC New gTLDs Scorecard [40 KB] (14 Mar 11)
- IPC Comments to ICANN Board Notes on the GAC New gTLDs Scorecard [96 KB] (14 Mar 11)
- RySG Input to ICANN Board Notes on the GAC New gTLDs Scorecard [433 KB] (15 Mar 11)
- NPOC Comment to ICANN Board and GAC on the GAC New gTLDs Scorecard [25 KB] (16 Mar 11)
- ISPCP Constituency Statement on Current gTLD Discussions Between ICANN Board and the Government Advisory Committee [61 KB] (16 Mar 11)
- Registrar Stakeholder Group Assessment of Current Status of New gTLD Program [48 KB] (16 Mar 11)
- IPC Positions on 1B and 2 Issues on the GAC New gTLDs Scorecard [88 KB] (17 Mar 11)
- NCSG Positions on the Board Response to the GAC Scorecard [82 KB] (24 Mar 11)
- Statement of the Business User Constituency (BC) to the GAC Scorecard [84 KB] (25 Mar 11)
- ALAC Statement to the GAC Scorecard [1.14 MB] (28 Mar 11)
- GAC Comments on the ICANN Board's Response to the GAC Scorecard [145 KB] (13 Apr 11)
- Revised ICANN Notes on: the GAC New gTLDs Scorecard, and GAC Comments to Board Response [276 KB] (15 Apr 11)
- Remaining Points of Difference Between the ICANN Board and the Governmental Advisory Committee on New gTLD Rights Protection Mechanisms [113 KB] (19 Apr 11)
- Board-GAC Teleconference Transcript [340 KB] (20 May 11)
- GAC Comments on the Applicant Guidebook (April 15th, 2011 version) [112 KB] (26 May 11)
- GAC Communication on New gTLDs and Applicant Guidebook [216 KB] (18 June 11)